Kohukohu is situated on the northern shore of the harbour where it splits into two rivers, the Mangamuka River branching inland to the northeast and the Waihou River leading towards the east past Mangungu, Horeke and Rangiahua.
Kohukohu may look like a sleepy little place, but there is plenty to delight the visitor.The cafe and pub serves great food. There are musical evenings where local musicians get together and Ceilidhs where we dance the night away.
A great range of accommodation is offered locally from backpackers, to farmstays, to retreats, to B&Bs, motels and self catering accommodation.
Whether it’s fishing from the wharf, a walk on the wild side on the beach at Mitimiti or browsing at the library and looking over the art at the Geddes Gallery and Village Arts let the charm of Kohukohu work its magic on you.
According to Te Tai Tokerau tradition, the legendary Polynesian explorer, Kupe visited the area in 925 AD prior to his return voyage to Hawaiiki. Angry at the food from the hangi (earth oven) being insufficiently cooked, he cursed those responsible using the word kohu. Hence Kohukohu.The first recorded European to enter the Hokianga Harbour arrived in 1819 and by the 1830s, Kohukohu was the heart of New Zealand’s timber industry. The country’s first Catholic mass was celebrated 8 kilometres north of Kohukohu at Totara Point in 1838.
For nearly one hundred years Kohukohu was an important timber milling town and the largest commercial centre on the north of the harbour. In 1900, the township had a population of almost 2,000 people.